You can download press releases and images for our current and upcoming exhibitions below.
All images must be reproduced with full and correct captions.
Scroll to the bottom of the page for facts and figures about Turner Contemporary.
For more information, or to arrange press trips and interviews please contact:
email@example.com or call 01843 233 020
Dropbox for Katie Paterson & JMW Turner
Dropbox for Seaside: Photographed
Dropbox for Barbara Walker: Place, Space and Who
Dropbox for Antony Gormley, ANOTHER TIME
Dropbox for Turner Prize 2019
Dropbox for Turner Contemporary's building
Dropbox for Portfolio
Dropbox for Culture Kent
Dropbox for cultural tourism project
Key information about Turner Contemporary
In the seven years since Turner Contemporary opened in 2011, we have:
- Had over 2.9 million visits
- Exhibited the work of over 500 artists, including historical (JMW Turner, William Blake, John Constable, Auguste Rodin, Leonardo da Vinci), contemporary (Phyllida Barlow, Ai Weiwei, Laura Ford), early-career graduates and local artists
- Had over 50 exhibitions
- Put over £68 million into local economy
- Held an annual exhibition featuring the work of early-career graduate artists from Kent (Platform)
- Featured in exhibitions the work of Turner Prize winners (including Antony Gormley, Grayson Perry, Jeremy Deller) and Turner Prize nominees(including Karla Black, Tracey Emin, Yinka Shonibare, Paula Rego, Phil Collins, Runa Islam, Enrico David and Ian Davenport).
- Exhibited over 300 JMW Turner paintings
- Welcomed over 750 school and group visits including local schools, international schools, language schools and special needs schools
- Inspired over 70,000 children, young people and adults through our world-class learning programme
- Ran thousands of workshops, including over 300 Easy Sundays and over 160 Easy Holidays family workshops, which are free for CT9 residents
- Safeguarded over 101 FTE jobs across Kent
- Worked with local businesses and artists by stocking their products, being sponsored by them, and welcoming them to be part of our Business Circle.
Turner Contemporary is a charity that relies on donations to continue our outstanding work. Turner Contemporary’s main funders are Kent County Council and Arts Council England. We are also supported by other public investment and lottery funding, individual patrons, corporate patrons, trusts and foundations, catalyst endowment donors, and visitors who donate in the gallery and online.
Research conducted by Canterbury Christ Church University’s Business School (Social Value Report, October 2016) shows that since Turner Contemporary opened in 2011 it has helped to re-establish Margate as a destination town, and encouraged 2 million visits in its first five years. 4% of these visitors had never been to an art gallery before coming to Turner Contemporary, equating to 80,000 people experiencing art in a gallery context for the first time. Over the lifetime of the gallery so far, 48% of visits were made by those who specifically came to Margate to visit Turner Contemporary.
- For every £1 invested by Turner Contemporary in our exhibitions, £2.88 of net social value is created for visitors to the gallery.
- For every £1 invested by Turner Contemporary in our Lifelong Learning activities, £4.09 of net social value is created for participants.
- For every £1 invested by Turner Contemporary in our Formal Education programme, £5.15 of net social value is created for participants.
Further information can be provided on request. Call Marketing and Press Assistant Katie Hogben on 01843 233 020, or email firstname.lastname@example.org