Portfolio 2018 – Art, Animals and Us
Portfolio is Turner Contemporary and Canterbury Christ Church University’s annual art competition for pupils, students and teachers in Kent and Medway. The competition celebrates creative talent across the county, with the winning works seen by thousands of visitors to the gallery over the summer.
The competition is open to those in Kent and Medway who are:
– Students aged 4-18 years.
– Further education students (all ages).
– Teachers, teaching assistants and professionals working in an educational establishment.
– Current teacher trainee students.
The Theme: Art, Animals and Us
Inspired by Turner Contemporary’s 2018 Summer Exhibition, this year’s theme ‘Art, Animals and Us’ explores our relationship to the animal world.
– What human characteristics do we link to certain animals and why?
– When did the relationship between humans and animals begin? (Evolution, prehistoric age, mythology, religion).
– Where do we encounter animals in our lives and how do we communicate with them? (At home, in the wild, in a zoo, with technology).
– Why do we keep certain animals as pets?
– How does our relationship with food
affect our relationship with animals?
– Who is responsible when scientists
are warning of mass extinction?
The competition closes at midnight on 1 March 2018.